Sunday, February 12, 2012

Kale Chips

I'm Laura, the youngest of the three sisters. I moved to New York City in August, 2011 and have since found myself cooking much more than before.  Maybe it's that whole "adulthood" thing.  For the most part, I am open to all different types of food.  However, I have found myself eating primarily vegetarian since I moved to the city.  I credit that to the fact that I'm normally cooking for one and it can be difficult to make embellished meat and poultry dishes for myself.  Occasionally, when I have the time, I'll venture out of my normal routine and try a new recipe with meat, poultry, or fish. 

I also have a serious sweet tooth and love to bake.  Cupcakes, cookies, cakes, you name it. It's a weakness. Most of my posts will be of quick and easy snack foods, desserts, and dinners.  I'll start with a snack: Kale Chips.

My roommate and I were talking about Kale Chips last week and I quickly shut them down at the thought.  "What a tease" I thought to myself, tricking my mind into eating kale and thinking I was satisfying my salty-chip craving.  Skepticism aside,  I decided to give them a try. To my surprise, the chips turned out great.  They really are tasty and are a great, healthy alternative to a regular potato chip.  Below is a quick, 15 minute recipe for Kale Chips:

- Preheat the oven to  350 degrees F
- Clean one bunch of kale and break off the kale from the stems in "chip-size" pieces
- Add two tables spoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a large bowl
- Add the kale to the bowl and mix, coating each piece with a little bit of olive oil
- Spread the kale on a cookie sheet and put in the oven for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, take the kale out and flip over, add a few sprinkles of salt
- Place in the oven for 4 more minutes, take out and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, put them back in the oven for 2 minutes for the parmesan cheese to coat the kale

Serve alone and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment